10 Hair Loss Facts You Need To Know
Nowadays, hair loss, also known as alopecia, affects both men and women at different stages of their lives. Main causes for hair loss are certain diseases, chemotherapy, autoimmune disease, inflammation of the scalp, burns etc. Aside from this, in some cases hair loss is a result of a genetic inheritance. Hereditary hair loss occurs when the cells that normally control the hair regeneration are lost. Depending on the type of hair loss, there are some medical and natural hair loss treatments that can cure this medical condition.
Usually, the natural hair loss treatments like washing your hair with different herbs, taking herb supplements and vitamins, rubbing your scalp with garlic juice, etc. can prevent and, in some cases, even stop the short-term hair loss. The more serious hair loss problems must be treated medically.
There are many myths regarding hair loss prevention, causes and treatments, but which ones are true, is hard to tell. Here are some facts you definitely need to know if having a hair loss problem.
- Numerous studies have shown that hair loss can be caused by over 30 medical conditions like arthritis, hypertension, stress, typhoid and many many more.
- One of the main cause of hair loss among women is pregnancy. This type of hair loss usually occurs after the delivery because during the pregnancy hair is in the resting phase – part of the normal hair loss cycle.
- Around 64% of the Australian women experience hair loss between age 20 – 80.
- Hair thinning is more common in women than in men – 53% vs. 26%.
- Hair loss can be the first sign of heart disease. Studies have shown that men who lose their hair from the crown of their head, have 70% increased risk of heart disease.
- One of the best natural hair loss treatments for hair loss prevention is food. It is believed that certain foods, such as wholegrain bakery products, eggs, liver, kidneys, herring, salmon, carrots, green vegetable, etc. actually help in hair loss prevention.
Many studies have shown that on average we lose about 100 hairs. Typically, they are replaced by new ones.
- Wearing hats all the time will not cause hair loss. Many believe hats prevent the scalp from breathing. But, believe it or not, hair follicles get oxygen from the blood stream and not from the air.
- Balding is usually considered as a “man’s” problem, but the truth is that over 40% of women experience significant thinning throughout their lifetime.
- The main benefit of Propecia (finasteride) and Rogaine (minoxidil) is to reduce or stop hair loss and not to boost the hair growth. Studies have shown that both Propecia and Rogaine are more effective on the crown area. Actually, the medications can work to any place where the thinning is – as long as the infected are is not completely bald.