Millions of people worldwide enjoy the softness and warmth of carpets in their homes. Although it cannot be said with certainty for how long have humans been using the carpets, there are suggestions that they could date back to thousands year before Christ. At first, carpets were used to insulate the cold walls and floors of the homes, but soon became a decorative home accessory. This is especially true for carpets woven by hand. These carpets are regarded as a luxury, and are primarily used and made for the wealthy. Luckily, carpets are very popular and common choice of flooring, which is why they are available in hundreds of styles, materials and colors.
To look new and to add to the style of a home, carpets must be well maintained. They are perfect home for various bacterias and allergens, so regular carpet and upholstery cleaning is a must. Some carpet models hide more dirt than others, but that doesn’t mean there is no need for regular cleaning routine. Dirt can greatly affect the appearance of carpets, as it can cause the loss of color or fiber deterioration. Because of this, it is recommended to have carpets cleaned by qualified and professional carpet cleaning services Melbourne company every 12 to 18 months. Thorough carpet and upholstery cleaning will prolong the life of your investment. If you are interested in knowing more about carpets, here are several interesting facts.
- The oldest carpet in the world is the Pazyryk carpet excavated by archeologists form the grave of a Scythian prince in 1949. The reason the carpet withstood the test of time is because it was frozen and lay under the ice of Siberian Mountains. It is believed that the carpet is over 2000 years old.
- Today red carpet is used to mark the path taken by important people, such as heads of states, politicians and in recent years, the VIPs and celebrities. The first event to feature the red carpet was in 458 B.C by Aeschylus in the ancient play Agamemnon.
- Qasr al-Alam carpet in Iran is the longest carpet worldwide. It was designed by Ali Khaliqi, the Iranina artist and it was completed in 2007. The carpet was being woven for over 16 months by 1,200 women.
- Isfahan rug from Central Persia that was made from an antique silk, is the most expensive carpet ever sold at auction. It was sold in 2008 for $4.450.000.
- In 1907, janitor James Spangler, invented the first commercial vacuum cleaner. The cleaner was named Hoover and become the best selling carpet and upholstery cleaning vacuum brand in Australia (for home).
- Nicholas Bakalar publish a scientific survey in 2003 in which he claimed that the stomach flu virus also know as “Norovirus” can live for over a month on a dirty carpet. This is another reason why you should hire a professional carpet cleaning services Melbourne company.
- It is believed that with the regularly and proper carpet maintenance and upholstery cleaning, carpets and fabric furniture can significantly improve the quality of the air in the house because of the ability of trapping dust and allergens.
- There are over 2500 carpet and upholstery cleaning companies in Victoria, Australia. Over 90% of those are carpet cleaning services Melbourne companies.
- Without proper and regular carpet and upholstery cleaning, the bacteria grows faster than usual. Norovirus, salmonella, Kawasaki syndrome and campylobacter are just some of the bacteria known to be living in carpets.
- Carpets are the most common flooring choices in homes. About 65% of living rooms and 80% of bedrooms are carpeted.